Terms and Conditions
by PapersHive team
Terms and Conditions of Use
1.1 Use of the Sites is void where prohibited. By using the Sites and their features, You represent and warrant that: (a) You are 18 years or older; (b) Your use of the Sites does not violate any applicable law or regulation; and (c) You are responsible for all User Content (defined below) posted and activity that occurs under your account (even when User Content is posted by others who have accounts under your account).
2.1 The sites and all content, services, software or other materials (collectively “material”) available at the sites, are provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis from PapersHive and its affiliates and content providers. any material downloaded or obtained through the use of the sites is done at your own risk and you will be solely responsible for damage to your computer system or loss of data that results from the download of any material.
2.2 PapersHive makes no representations or warranties of any kind with regard to the material or services available at the sites. To the fullest extent permissible by applicable law, PapersHive disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to,implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and/or non-infringement regarding the sites, including without limitation warranties related to the operation of the sites, the information, content, materials, and services described therein, and any information or applications submitted through the sites. without limiting the foregoing, PapersHive does not warrant that the sites or any of its functions will be uninterrupted or error-free, that defects will be corrected, or that the sites are free of viruses or other harmful components. PapersHive does not warrant or make any representations regarding the use of the materials on the sites or the services described therein.
2.3 PapersHive takes no responsibility and assumes no liability for any User Content posted, stored or uploaded by you or any third party, or for any loss or damage thereto, nor is PapersHive liable for any mistakes, defamation, slander, libel, omissions, falsehoods, obscenity, pornography or profanity you may encounter. Your use of the Sites is at your own risk. As a provider of interactive services, PapersHive is not liable for any statements, representations or User Content or Third Party Content provided by its users on the Sites.
3. Acceptable Use
3.1. You may use our Services only for lawful purposes. Accordingly, you may only post versions of Academic Papers or other Content (as defined below) on the Site if you have the right to do so. By way of example, while many journal publishers permit posting of some versions of Academic Papers, most journals restrict the sharing of final versions. To be sure you have the right to upload such Content, you should review your publishing agreement, the publisher’s copyright policies, the SHERPA/RoMEO database, and/or any other applicable information prior to posting any version of an publication.
3.2. "Content" shall mean any material you post on or through the Site, including, without limitation, Academic Papers, Research Data and any comments on forums, wikis, personal profiles and communications with members. By using the Site and posting any Content, you permit us to extract metadata for indexing and improved searchability purposes from any such Content that you post or upload to the Site. We do not claim any ownership rights in your or any other user’s Content. After posting or uploading your Content to the Site, except for the permissions granted to us hereunder, you continue to retain all your rights in such Content."Research Data" shall mean the result of observations or experimentation that validate research findings and that are published separate to an Academic Paper, which can include but are not limited to raw data, processed data, software, algorithms, protocols, and methods. For Research Data that you make publicly available on the Site, you grant us a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive right and license to publish, extract, reformat, adapt, build upon, index, re-distribute, link to and otherwise use all or any part of the Research Data in all forms and media (whether now known or later developed), and to permit others to do so. Where you have selected a specific end user license under which the Research Data is to be made available on the Site, we shall apply that end user license.
3.4. You may not use our Services:
- 3.4.1. to send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any Academic Papers without authorization. You may perform these actions only if you are the copyright owner, have the copyright owner’s permission, are permitted to do so under your publishing agreement or your institution’s license agreement or under license from an Open Access database or under a Creative Commons license.
- 3.4.2. in any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation;
- 3.4.3. in any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or that advocates, promotes or assists any unlawful act, or that may deceive any person or that breaches any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence or that may be harmful to a user;
- 3.4.4. in any way that is defamatory of any person, obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory;
- 3.4.5. in any way that promotes sexually explicit material, violence, or discrimination of any kind;
- 3.4.6. in any way that infringes any copyright, database right, trade mark or other intellectual property right of any other person;
- 3.4.7. in any way that is threatening, abusive or invades another privacy, or is likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; This includes but is not limited to ensuring that you have complied with best practice and applicable local laws when sharing data obtained from any research participants or any other individuals, that you have obtained all necessary consents, and that such data is suitably anonymized wherever appropriate;
3.4.8. to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person;
3.4.9. to upload, post, email, message, transmit or otherwise make available or initiate any content that includes any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, “junk mail”, “spam”, “chain letters”, “pyramid schemes”, “market research”, or any other form of solicitation whether it be for commercial or non-commercial purposes. This prohibition includes but is not limited to (a) using PapersHive invitations to send messages to people who don’t know you or who are unlikely to recognize you as a known contact; (b) using PapersHive to connect to people who don’t know you and then sending unsolicited promotional messages to those direct connections without their permission.
- 3.4.10. to knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
- 3.4.11 to scrape the platform and /or to improve and/or develop a product and/or service which may, directly or indirectly, commercially or non- commercially, compete with the Services and/or any associated product or service and/or may be in any other form damaging or detrimental to the Services and/or PapersHive or its users, affiliates and partners.
3.5. Unless you have express prior written permission, you may not use any spider or bot-like system, software or other device or program (whether automated or otherwise) to extract content, data, information or other material from the Site.
3.6. You also agree:
- 3.6.1. not to access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt:any part of our Site;any equipment or network on which our Site is stored;our Software or any software used in the provision of our Site; or any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
3.6.2. to use our Services only for research related activity (e.g, not to store your personal collection of movies, music and other large file types unrelated to your research activities).
3.7. You may form more than one private group as part of a PapersHive for Teams package only if you intend to be active in all such groups; you may not form more than one private group to act solely as an administrator.
4. Limitation of Liability
In no event will PapersHive, its directors, employees or agents be liable for any indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation lost profits, loss of use, business interruption, or loss of data, arising out of or relating to the sites, the information, content, or materials described therein, the operation of the sites, any application, information, or request submitted to us through the sites, and/or the services described therein, even if PapersHive is expressly advised of the possibility of such damages.
5. Proprietary Rights
5.1 General Proprietary Rights: The Sites are owned by PapersHive and contain material that is derived in whole or in part from PapersHive and other sources. The Sites and their contents are protected by international copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property laws. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute in any way any material from the Sites, including without limitation code or software, without PapersHive’s express written permission.
5.2 Copyright: All site design, text, code, graphics, and interfaces, and the selection and arrangements thereof, on the Sites are the property of PapersHive, or their content suppliers, and are protected by U.S. and other international copyright laws ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Prior permission to use, reproduce, or reprint any photograph, illustration, artwork, or other information or materials on the Sites must be obtained from the copyright owner, regardless of the intended use. Any unauthorized use of the materials appearing on the Sites is in violation of copyright, trademark, and other applicable laws and could result in criminal or civil penalties.
5.3 Trademarks: “PapersHive”, “nonoRank" and "Neurora" and the PapersHive Logo are trademarks of PapersHive and/or its affiliates. They may not be used in connection with any product or service other than those services offered by Neurora NLP or its affiliates, in any manner that is likely to cause confusion, or in any manner that disparages or discredits PapersHive or its affiliates. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
6. Content Restrictions
7. Links from the Site
7.1 The Sites contain (or you may be sent through the Sites to) links to other websites (“Third Party Sites”) as well as articles, photographs, text, graphics, pictures, designs, music, sound, video, information, applications, software and other content or items belonging to or originating from third parties in a variety of media, including without limitation, sharable software files that contain executable code posted on the Site by other users (the “Third Party Content”). These Third Party Sites are provided for your convenience only. PapersHive has no control over the Third Party Content or the Third Party Sites and accepts no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them. If you decide to access any of the Third Party Sites, you do so entirely at your own risk and subject to the terms and conditions of use for such Third Party Sites.
8. Protection of your Intellectual Property and Copyrights
8.1 We take claims of copyright infringement seriously. We will respond to notices of alleged copyright infringement that comply with applicable law. If you believe any materials accessible on or from the Sites infringe your copyright, you may request removal of those materials (or access to them) from the Sites by submitting written notification to our Copyright Agent (designated below). In accordance with the Online Copyright Infringement Liability Limitation Act of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (17 U.S.C. § 512) (“DMCA“), the written notice (the “DMCA Notice“) must include substantially the following:
- Your physical or electronic signature;
- Identification of the copyrighted work you believe to have been infringed or, if the claim involves multiple works on the Sites, a representative list of such works;
- Identification of the material you believe to be infringing in a sufficiently precise manner to allow us to locate that material;
- Adequate information by which we can contact you, including your name, postal address, telephone number and, if available, e-mail address;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent or the law;
- A statement that the information in the written notice is accurate; and
- A statement, under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
Our designated Copyright Agent to receive DMCA Notices is Neurora Legal Department Rosendalsvägen 10A, Uppsala, Sweden.
If you fail to comply with all of the requirements of the DMCA, your DMCA Notice may not be effective. Please be aware that if you knowingly materially misrepresent that material or activity on the Sites is infringing your copyright, you may be held liable for damages (including costs and attorney’s’ fees) under Section 512(f) of the DMCA. For clarity, only DMCA Notices should go to the PapersHive Designated Copyright Agent.